Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 01:03:53 -0400
From: ben keyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Earnhardt

the program manager noted at the track that the
impact busted the filler neck off & it was full of fuel.
having so much fuel in the car that filler neck is
full would (perhaps) make sense at Le Mans where
every ounce of fuel can make a difference over the 24 hrs.
overfilling the tank for freaking practice before the race
is stupid.  one might think that they'll develop some sort
of overflow system or something to prevent this sort of
thing happening again, but it might just be a fluke as well.

the headline here on the Speed web site seems to
indicate that the problem was specifically the
fill cap :
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/roadracing/

but there's no mention of this in the actual article at
the link :
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/roadracing/12103/

recall that one of the vettes was hit at extremely high
speed at Le Mans when it spun out & ended up
back on track and there was no fire and the car
later re-entered the race, so the design is stout.

Ben