Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:06:22 -0400
From: ben keyes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why Dale's Corvette burst into flames

no.

any gas vapors will delay a bit & then ignite, no matter
what the ethanol involved is.  lots of racing crashes are
similar.  first you spill the fuel, then give it a second or
two to find a nice hot exhaust pipe & foosh, you've
got your nice confligration.

the ethanol was the reason behind the Corvette team
changing their fuel cells over night.  they had some sort
of problem with the foam/other media in the tank being
degraded by the increased ethanol in the fuel for that race
(perhaps a Kalifornia thing ?) but it doesn't have anything
to do with the "tendency to combust spontaneously".
gasoline vapors are gasoline vapors, all of which are
quite likely to ignite when put in the right situation.

it's possible to reduce this tendency as the FAA did
at one point with a reformulated jet fuel, but that's
not the case here.

there's ehtanol in all sorts of gas all over the place, largely
driven by the agricultural lobby, as ethanol = corn. I believe
that the various region-specific reforumlated gasolines may
increase/decrease the use of ethanol, but I'm no gas expert.
IIRC ethanol tends to be hard on fuel lines, not have an effect
on ignition (electrical) systems.  then I guess not getting
fuel due to a lack of fuel flow could be considered an
ignition problem by some stretch of the imagination.

Ben
93 octane, no ethanol around here...