Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2006 14:01:42 -0500
From: "Paul Craven" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: <E39> Tire Wear

Hello gruppe,
I just got our 1999 528iT with sport package back from an alignment
because it is chewing up the inside edges of the back tires.  The
alignment showed the left rear wheel to have -1.8 degrees of camber and
the right rear to have -1.4 degrees.  Spec is -1.5 to -2.2 with a full
tank (the car only had half during the alignment).  The weird part of
this is that the right rear with less camber is wearing worse than the
left.  Both wheels are right in the middle of the range for toe.  Is
this just life with a sport package E39?  I would guess that the BFG's
on the car will show wires on the inside edge in less than 20k miles of
rear tire use.  After 10 k, the inside edges are mostly bald and the
balance of the tire (60k tread life rating) looks near new.  This is my
wife's grocery getter so mostly there's no fun of any kind (track,
autocross, or such), heck it only gets a decent off ramp run once in a
while.  Car has 120k miles if it matters, drives great and steady as a
rock.  Any ideas what to check other than get off the couch and rotate
the tires more often?

Regards,
Paul Craven
1999 528it - mystery tire wear
1993 325ic - definitely driver induced tire wear