  Re: <misc> oil in coolant, no coolant in oil
  Re: 1990 325iC?
  <e30> Using the torch to best effect
  <e30> Interior colors

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 23:36:19 +0000
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com
Subject: Re: <misc> oil in coolant, no coolant in oil

Kevin, I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would answer your #2 question,
but since I haven't seen it yet, I'll take a stab at it.

Fluids go from high pressure areas to low pressure areas.  The oiling system
runs from something like 20 PSI (warm idle) to, what, 80 PSI at speed?  Maybe
more when cold?  The cooling system is pretty low pressure - 7 to 10 PSI, IIRC.
 So in a breach between the oil system and the cooing system, oil would travel
into the cooling system.  It would be different with a breach into a combustion
chamber, where pressures are extremely high during the ignition stroke.

Scott Miller
GGC BMW CCA