  <E34> Brake Lt. Circuit Message
  Re: <E34> Brake Lt. Circuit Message
  Re: Insurance woes
  Traffic Ticket in San Jose

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 08:46:07 -0500
From: "Paul Craven" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <bmwuucdigest@uucdigest.com>
Subject: <E34> Brake Lt. Circuit Message

Hi all,
My new-to-me 1991 M5 is throwing the above message intermittently.  The
always helpful check control then advises me to check the owners manual
and being the obedient slave to the M gods that I am, I did so.  The
manual notes that this message means there is a problem with the brake
light circuit and refers me to pg 68 or my dealer.  Since I have already
made my "buy" this week (jk), I elected to check pg 68 which also
informed me it is a problem with the brake light circuit and that there
is a separate warning for brake light bulbs.  In any case, I replaced
all the brake light bulbs with new Sylvanias (since no one here carries
the Osram brand) and cleaned the sockets. I also reseated the sockets a
couple times to be sure I had good contact there.  Still getting the
message periodically. I assume the brake light switch should be next for
the lake test?  Any other suspects?

As a side note I recently had the independent headlight syndrome with
the low beams periodically turning themselves off.  I reflowed the relay
joints in the LKM and have not seen that gremlin again (my first attempt
at circuit board repair).  Maybe the LKM is just shot and creating the
brake lt circuit message?

Regards,
Paul Craven
1991 M5 deity
1999 528iT - with $75 in new wiper blades (WTF, the original blades
physically failed?)

Replace the brake light switch.  It's a well know problem.

Brett Anderson
KMS