Hi Shane,

some crystal forms of trimeric AcrB (a multi-drug resistance secondary
transporter) have 3 (or 6) monomers in the ASU and these are substantially
different, which suggests how the protein functions.
One reference is e.g.  Seeger et al. (2006) "Structural Asymmetry of AcrB
Trimer Suggests a Peristaltic Pump Mechanism " Science 313, 1295-1298
DOI: 10.1126/science.1131542 (sorry for the self-plug!)

best,

Kay