June,
I dislike being put in the position of defending Christian history, but I've learned that charming but simplistic understandings of the culture of others is foolish.  I would suggest you go to the Catholic Encyclopedia to learn Catholic history.  http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03724b.htm

Volumes have been written through the years arguing the details of how Christmas was named, celebrated, how the time frame was played out, differences between cultures, etc.  Whether one accepts the truth of a religious belief, one must understand that intelligent people have followed the path of that belief for their own reasons.  In addition it would be foolish to deny that for at least 1700 years growing numbers of Christians associated the rituals with their belief in the birth of Christ rather than associating the rituals with a belief in paganism.  There is growing tension as those believing in Christianity are being asked to split themselves in two, one part celebrating Winter Holidays while the other part attempts to celebrate Christmas.

As I said, it will not be the end of Christmas in America.  The situation is much more complex than that.