> Ken Brown[SMTP:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
>
> Tim May wrote:
> >
> > At 5:20 PM -0700 4/24/01, David Honig wrote:
> > >At 11:02 AM 4/24/01 +0100, Ken Brown wrote:
> > >  and burn a million cows on pyres of
> > >
> > >The chemicals in the materials you're using for your pyres are
> > >poisoning the locals with dioxins... napalm is a lot cleaner and faster
> than
> > >dioxin-generating old tires and railroad ties, supposedly.
[...]

> When was the last time anyone bought cow-meat from the UK anyway? Even
> supermarkets over here sell food with "Contains no British meat
> products" in big friendly letters.  Actually the total dioxin release
> from the cow pyres is probably a small fraction of the annual release
> anyway. This might affect the sheep-meat export (which is a much bigger
> business) but most of that is from upland areas which aren't said to be
> contaminated.  The US government, as you know, will use any excuse to
> resist agricultural imports.

        [...]

> Ken Brown

The figure I heard was that up to this date, the amount of dioxin released
in the cow-pyres was equal to 25% of the total annual British industrial
output. Presumably more will be released as the cull goes on (they really
should be using napalm).

Part of the problem is that this is being released in rural areas, and
presumably contaminating pasture. I'm not so worried about the dioxin
getting into British beef as I am about it getting into milk products. Dairy
products don't carry BSE, and I strongly doubt if Britain imports much
of its milk.

Just how dangerous an extra 25+% dioxin is I don't know.

Do they still say "Drinka Pinta Milka Day"?

Peter Trei