On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 06:43:20PM -0700, Tim May wrote:
>  From our perspective, it will show the foolishness of government
> overreaction (ordering a million animals to be slaughtered and burned
> with tires and old pressure-treated lumber railroad ties).

Good summary. Here's an ENS report:

http://ens.lycos.com/ens/apr2001/2001L-04-19-12.html
UK's Foot and Mouth Cull Raises Toxic Dilemma
2001-04-19 23:51:15
UK's Foot and Mouth Cull Raises Toxic Dilemma LONDON, United Kingdom,
April 19, 2001 (ENS) - The foot and mouth outbreak is under control,
according to the United Kingdom government's chief scientist, but the
logistical challenge of quickly disposing of more than a million
slaughtered animals is raising new fears over dioxins and groundwater
contamination...

Yes, top-down government regulation is clearly the best way to handle
environmental crises, as the Brits showed so very well.

-Declan