On Tue, Sep 12, 2023 at 09:10:56AM +0200, Samuel Thibault wrote:
>Christian Schoepplein, le mar. 12 sept. 2023 09:02:40 +0200, a ecrit:
>> The following command displays
>> the output in a long line instead dividing it into seperate lines:
>>
>> translate -i occure
>
>On my system it does output
>
>Vorkommen {n} (von etw.) [min.] | Erdölvorkommen {n} | Vorkommen [...]

On my system it looks like this:

cs@d5421:~$ translate -i occure Vorkommen {n} (von etw.) [min.] |
Erdölvorkommen {n} | Vorkommen in Linsenform; linsenförmiges Vorkommen |
schichtförmiges Vorkommen :: presence; occurrence (of sth.) | oil occurrence  |
lens-shaped occurence; lenticularity | occurrence in strata
cs@d5421:~$

But I noticed another thing. When I switch away from the terminal, e.g. into
another terminal, and then switch back into the terminal with the translate
command everything looks good and the output is in a seperate line.
Strange...

>So it's the output of the command itself which is a one-liner, mate&orca
>can't do anything about it :)

I had the same behaviour also with commands that output more then one line,
e.g. with apt. Maybe there is something wrong with refreshing the screen,
because everything seems to be fine when moving to another window
and back again in the window where the problem occured.

>> ls -1 /dev > test.txt
>>
>> Open the test.txt file, scrol down some pages and then delete a line with
>> ctrl+k.
>>
>> On my machine I have to clear the screen with ctrl+l to see that the line
>> has been removed on the braille display.
>
>You mean that the braille display is still showing the very line you
>wanted to remove?

Yes.

>I am not able to reproduce this. Just to be precise:
>
>- nano test.txt
>- press page down
>(get to some line shown on the braille display)
>- press control-k
>(the line is supposed to be replaced by the next line on the braille
>display)

Yes, thats exactly what I am doing.

>Do you perhaps have some particular configuration in nano?

No, I don't. But maybe I have some mate-terminal settings that cause this
problems. I've resetted mate-terminal with the following command now to make
sure that no mate-terminal settings cause this strange problems:

dconf reset -f /org/mate/terminal/

Ciao,

  Schoepp