On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 08:12:35AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:

You want to turn the computer *off*!?  OFF!?  Why in the world would
you want to do such a thing?  ;-)

| poweroff just does the same as "shutdown -h now" for me: turns off the
| disks only.  On mandrake 7.2 however, "shutdown -h now" does indeed
| turn off the whole computer, cold, quiet.  So what have I not
| adjusted?

You probably don't have apm enabled.  It is not enabled by default
because some systems (that debian supports, mainly older ones) don't
support apm.

In your bootloader config, add "apm=on" to the end of the kernel
command line.  (in lilo that's part of an append= line, in grub just
stick it at the end of the kernel line)

| By the way, on mandrake when we do shutdown -h now, we see a
| comforting sequence of messages about this and that being turned off
| one by one,

Debian shows that too as the system shuts down.

| Indeed all the documentation I read about how to use debian never
| mentions what happens one day when you (the nerve!) want to turn the
| computer off.

I've never used 'poweroff'.  I've always used '/sbin/halt'.  (which I
think is also equivalent to 'shutdown -h now')  Even when I used RH I
used 'halt' (IIRC) but not poweroff.

If you don't have apm enabled, you should still be able to run
'/sbin/halt' and see the system shut down to the point where it says
"System halted" though it won't actually shut off.  If you have apm
enabled (and your BIOS supports it) the system should shut itself off
at that point.

Also, the default inittab has Ctrl-Alt-Del mapped to reboot the
system.  You can always use that to try and reboot.  (I remapped it to
shutdown on my systems because I wanted to)

HTH,
-D

--

Pride goes before destruction,