On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 02:56:33PM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
| indeed, booting with append=" apm=on nls_cp950 nls_cp437"
                                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't think any part of the kernel will actually do anything with
those arguments.

| and allows shutdown -h now to really poweroff the whole computer.

Good.

| However, no matter how I inquire to the kernel, e.g. lsmod, it doesn't
| mention apm.

$ cat /proc/apm

lsmod isn't going to list stuff that isn't a module.  The
debian-packaged 2.2 kernels have apm built-in, not as a module.
(I presume you're using kernel 2.2.20.  Is that right?)

| Also my futile attempt to load those two code pages doesn't get any
| mention of success or failure in /var/log/*.  I was trying to read
| Chinese vfat filenames.

How about including the commands you've tried and their output here?
I can't give a success example because I'm using a custom-built kernel
that doesn't have those modules.

I just installed the kernel-image-2.2.20 package so I could see,
/lib/modules/2.2.20/fs/nls_cp950.o is right there.  Simply running
'modprobe nls_cp950' will load the module.

| Also dmesg is not in the log rotation scheme, why?

Probably so you can still see the boot log in 3 months or so.  It's
not going to get bigger because you haven't been rebooting :-).  The
file /var/log/dmesg gets overwritten each time you boot.

HTH,
-D

--

"640K ought to be enough for anybody" -Bill Gates, 1981

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/