indeed, booting with append=" apm=on nls_cp950 nls_cp437"
causes the second line not to appear in /var/log/messages anymore:
Jun 14 09:10:51 debian kernel: apm: BIOS version 1.2 Flags 0x07 (Driver version
1.13)
Jun 14 09:10:51 debian kernel: apm: disabled on user request.
and allows shutdown -h now to really poweroff the whole computer.

However, no matter how I inquire to the kernel, e.g. lsmod, it doesn't
mention apm.  Also my futile attempt to load those two code pages
doesn't get any mention of success or failure in /var/log/*.  I was
trying to read Chinese vfat filenames.

Also dmesg is not in the log rotation scheme, why?
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780