On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 05:30:43AM +0800, Dan Jacobson wrote:
| I'm scared s*itless about wafting about my real e-mail address on my
| posts here, as I've already seen account after account of mine get
| buried in spam and now all's I got left is my real ISP address-- all
| from posting to "little known mailing lists".

Oh, sure, put your email on a web page and a robot will find it sooner
or later.  No big deal.  (see below)

| Anyways I tremble in my boots each time one of you CCs to my real
| address, can't you Bcc me?

No.  I don't want to.  If you want a duplicate copy, include your
(real) address in the Mail-Followup-To: header.  :-).  (mutt is great,
and so is gnus; they both have list-reply functions)

| You see I'm 31K modem brief connect to ISP POP box.  I read this group
| on google.  Sure I've got procmail etc. turned on.  But that's only
| for after one downloads the box contents.  One need IMAP to scan the
| headers before download.  Anyway, believe me, 20-30 mails a day and my
| slow POP box is over with.

Do you want an account on my box?  I've got spamassassin (and some
other sanity checks) setup with exim.  Most trash gets rejected before
I even see it.  I can even setup a filter to put any SA-flagged (and
whatever else you want) mail into a "junk" folder that you can inspect
at your leisure.

Take a look at http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/software/exim/ for details
on what I've done.  This is why I really don't care that my email
address is all over the d-u and other archives.  It does help that I'm
not on a dial-up link anymore, but with "free" local calls it wasn't
that big of a problem for me then either.

Another tool suited for people like you is popsneaker, or something
like that.  It is a filter that reads the headers from your POP server
and DELEtes the message if it doesn't like it.  It saves you from
downloading the whole darn thing.  (I bet you could make it filter d-u
too, like I've done, to eliminate topics you aren't interested in.
That is, if you were subscribed to the list.)

-D

--

For society, it's probably a good thing that engineers value function
over appearance.  For example, you wouldn't want engineers to build

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/