On Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:25:19 -0500
"Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  | You see I'm 31K modem brief connect to ISP POP box.  I read this group
>  | on google.  Sure I've got procmail etc. turned on.  But that's only
>  | for after one downloads the box contents.  One need IMAP to scan the
>  | headers before download.  Anyway, believe me, 20-30 mails a day and my
>  | slow POP box is over with.

[snip]

>  Another tool suited for people like you is popsneaker, or something
>  like that.  It is a filter that reads the headers from your POP server
>  and DELEtes the message if it doesn't like it.  It saves you from
>  downloading the whole darn thing.  (I bet you could make it filter d-u
>  too, like I've done, to eliminate topics you aren't interested in.
>  That is, if you were subscribed to the list.)

I would also recommend sylpheed-claws and, I think, the version of KMail
not yet in Debian. They have built-in tools which allow you to preview
your mail, and manually delete or download based on subject and sender
and size. This is safer than popsneaker or mailfilter's non-interactive
delete.

If the OP is really concerned about bandwidth, I'd recommend a webmail
account with ample storage and a good interface (one that lets you see
fifty or more email headers at a time). That way you can dump Debian
into that account.