I have interesting problem on one of my boxes.  We've
tried everything to figure this out.  Basically, when the
machine is started, the /etc/init.d/networking script isn't
running, or its not running correctly so that ifup executes.

I'll explain the issue:

The machine is a woody machine using the tulip driver,
which is built as a module and loads fine.

When the machine boots, the tulip driver is in fact loaded
and is show as such with an lsmod.

However, to complete the network startup, we must do an
"ifup eth0", and an "ifup lo" respectively.

- dmesg shows nothing
- /var/log/syslog shows no failures or issues.

Here's what we've tried:

- re-creating the ring scripts using update-rc.d, yes, they exist
  in 0 and 6, and the kill scripts are there too.

- We also placed an "echo <something identifiable>" into the networking
script.

        This is interesting, because we placed it at the top -- to always show.
        It never appears upon bootup, indicating to us "networking" was never
getting
      run during the startup process. However, during shutdown, while the
kill
      files run, it actually appeared and was executed.  Hmmm...

- running the networking script manually works.

Any help would be much appreciated.  We've been battling this for a couple
weeks...

thanks,
gary
---