Can we try to get some data on what amount of effort is required here?
Andrew, Ignasi, here are some questions for you.

If we want to at least keep Jclouds going, without necessarily doing much
fresh feature development on it:

1. What do you think is a desirable *minimum* number of active contributors
to the project (doing releases, dependency updates, security fixes,
occasional important bug fixes)?
2. How much work is that likely to involve? (Approx time commitment). Let's
separate out how much effort it is to build, test and publish a release
from other stuff which is going to be more ad-hoc.
3. How much access to cloud providers/infrastructure is required to test a
release? How expensive is it?
4. How much work would it be for new contributors to learn the codebase
well enough to contribute effectively?

I ask (1) because I think we need to focus on how many new people we need
to get involved. It seems that the current number of active contributors is
approximately 1, Andrew, with some time perhaps from Ignasi and others?
I ask (2) because I think any of us will want to know what we would need to
do if we volunteer to become an active contributor. (I'm sure I'm not the
only one who doesn't feel they have a lot of spare time.)
I ask (3) because any of us may be in the same boat as me - I wouldn't be
allowed to do any jclouds work using my employer's cloud provider accounts
or infrastructure, so I would have to use personal accounts. The only ones
I have personally are AWS and GCP. Would any of us need a wide range of
provider accounts to test a release? How much would the testing cost? I
would be reluctant to run a test suite I didn't know on a personal account.
I'm sure we've all heard stories about nightmare AWS bills...
Finally (4) gives us an idea of the ramp-up involved. I think we can assume
that we're all fairly experienced Java devs, or we wouldn't be reading
this. But say we've never looked into the code yet. Would you or others
have any time to help bring us up to speed? I did a bit of work on jclouds
back around 2016 and the way I remember it is that it took a week or two to
get my head around the bits I needed to know, but it was reasonably
straightforward, the code wasn't very convoluted. I had to take the time to
learn about Guava/Guice. But back then I was able to work on it in the day
job, and had great help learning it from Andrea Turli; thanks Andrea ;-)

I think if we know better how much it will take, we can each more easily
ask ourselves, "could I do this"? If enough of us say "yes", we may avoid
the attic yet.

Geoff