might be interested in our experiences of hosting e/merge 2004, an online
conference about educational technology in Southern Africa. We had 163
participants from 7 southern Africa countries, as well as some key people from
further afield.

Our one key note speaker  presented a real-time video-streamed opening keynote
address to a roomful of people at the conference opening physically located in
Cape Town (South Africa), while national and international online participants
engaged in text-based dialogue with both him and the participants physically
present!

Although there are savings in many ways, making such a conference a success is
also a lot of work. We have written up our experiences, including in the
editorial to the special issue of the International Journal of Education and
Development using ICTs which recently published 10 of the papers originally
presented online.

Our experiences were so positive that we will be running e/merge 2006 next year!

Laura