Hi!

Alexander Winizki wrote:
> Hi,
> what do you think about the following new feature requests:
>
> 1) Optionally, DVBCUT shoul also re- encode all GOPs that do not comply
> with the DVD specification, this means GOPs that are too long or have a
> too high bitrate (above 8000 Kbps).

I see no need to add that feature to dvbcut. There are other tools that
can do it (probably even much better), and you can use them as a
postprocessor (e.g. some people export the video directly to dvdauthor).

> This feature is critical for being
> able to play DVDs produced from the edited recordings on some standalone
> players. My experience with German TV stations shows that there are
> three kinds of TV shows: some are 100% DVD- compliant, others contain up
> to 3% non-compliant GOPS and still others have resolutions outside the
> DVD specification, so that in their case it makes no sense to use
> DVBCUT. So, IMHO in the second case, recoding is a meaningful job since
> it would change only a small part of the material.

DVBcut is meant for cutting DVB video, not for creating DVDs. That is,
it's also useful in your third case. You can run the resulting file
through e.g. transcode to get something more DVD compatible.

> 2) I would find it very helpful, if DVBCUT showed the aspect ratio and
> the resolution of the currently displayed frame. Often, the aspect ratio
> changes from one TV show to the next or between the movie and the ad
> blocks. In this case it is important to see where the resolution changes
> in order not to place cut points at the wrong place.

I guess you must have a rather old version. Try the latest one from SVN.
It's got a cutting aid (Edit / Suggest bookmarks) that will
automatically bookmark the first frame after each aspect ratio change.
Besides that, it's possible to convert a sequence of bookmarks into a
start...stop or stop...start sequence for automated cutting. You can
even tell dvbcut to export only the 16:9 or 4:3 parts of a recording.

--
Michael "Tired" Riepe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>