tomp wrote:
> you mention a 'dumb' driver
> anything you know of for AC drives?
> i've done this with lots of copley's
> but those were dc brushed amps

I have my $150 PWM brushless servo amps, which can be driven by my
universal PWM controller.  The amp just delivers supply voltage x the
PWM duty cycle to the motor, unless current reaches the limit value.
So, it is a REALLY "dumb" amp, no torque control loop, no sinusoidal
drive, no encoder input.  it does need commutation signals.  I've driven
Giddings & Lewis, Pittman, Servo Dynamics and Panasonic motors with
excellent results.  I've tried a few others with mixed results, mostly a
lot of motor vibration, due to the six-step drive.  See
http://pico-systems.com/acservo.html for more info.

Jon