From: Jon Elson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Success driving Panasonic Minas S (MUMS) brushless
motors
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Monday, December 1, 2008, 12:23 AM

tomp wrote:
> i hope it works for the whole MINAS series
> i just went thru some hell because a supplied panasonic minas series A4
> MHMD motor
> and mating MCDD driver couldnt be found in USA
> it was true, the MHMD motor is only for the asian A4C series
> and is called the MSMD in usa ( the 'A4' series )
>
> now isnt that intuitive? ;)
>
> anyway,
> you more than likely have the basis to use Yaskawa and SureServo (
> automation direct 'koyo ) also

The Panasonic encodes the 3 commutation signals with a UART, sending
8-bit serial bytes at 1 Mbit/second.
So, that was quite easy to decipher and design a simple gizmo to convert
back to the standard UVW commutation signals.
These motors have traditional ABZ position encoders.

On the proprietary Yaskawa motors made for their own drives, the encoder
only has 3 channels, and encodes position AND commutation all in those.
A and B are normal, but the C channel flips the phase relationship
between it and the other two to give commutation and index pulse
encoding.  I got the general idea, but I can't say I understand how it
works.

Jon