On Sunday 24 October 2021 13:35:17 John Dammeyer wrote:

> > From: Gene Heskett [mailto:ghesk...@shentel.net]
> >
> > On Sunday 24 October 2021 11:30:07 Feral Engineer wrote:
> > > I use work with probe, but I am going to customize the routines a
> > > little to work the way I want them to and Andrew Beck I believe
> > > uses his probes.
> > >
> > > Phil T.

> > I don't think its a verser product, but the plastic one I bought 5
> > years ago, looks just like the right pix but without the usb
> > connector, straight wire into it. Despite many repeated attempts to
> > adjust it, has never come within 20 thou of making a repeatable
> > finding. The plastic by now is cracked like a century old china bowl
> > and was already crazed when it was shipped. Worthless when I paid
> > nearly $200 for it several years ago, and still worthless at
> > whatever it is selling for today. I left an unfavorable review and
> > was threatened with a lawsuit for libel.
> >
> > Cheers, Gene Heskett.
>
> I broke one of these
> https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/65002206
> when I accidentally dropped my pendant as I was putting it back on the
> side of the machine (magnets).  The axis selection was still set to X
> and when it dropped it spun the hand wheel fast enough to shift the X
> axis table into the probe tip.  Never did find the probe tip...
>
> I ordered a replacement and now before I hang up the pendant I switch
> the axis selection to off.
>
> I have found this one accurate enough for my needs for manual set up
> where I move the axis, given the ACME lead screws on my machine.  I
> have however ordered one of the verser ones (plus extra probes) since
> it also handles Z and appears to have a bit more 'flex' to deal with
> deceleration of the axis once the probe makes contact.

First time I've seen that one which I assume is xy only, but that's also
a quite decent price. They need to advertise where DDG picks it up.  But
I'm so used to a direct electrical contact now that I probably will
never go back to touch probes. You would laugh at my most used probe,
its a 3/4" rod of teflon, with a hole bored in the end to accept a piece
of 12 gauge copper wire which is glued in. A piece of stranded wire
about 14 gauge, is striped, divided into two, straddles the 12 ga wire
and is twisted at the far ends to get a grip and contact, drapped over
something on the head so it doesn't crawl down the wire when I start the
spindle. The 12 ga, while spinning, is a perfect circle of a size that
doesn't care as long as its circle is smaller than the hole whose
location I am probing for. The math in the 4 way probe routine returns
the exact center of the hole which then becomes the xy touch off point
with a .0002" max error plus the slop in the ball screws.

Plenty close enough for the girls I go with at my age. :o)

Take care John

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
 - Louis D. Brandeis