Well that was an interesting read.  I've ordered one of the inexpensive touch
probes.  Too bad development seems to have stopped 3 years ago.

I installed this on my lab bench Pi4 with LinuxCNC and MESA 7i92H.  I have a
wire simulating the probe to one of the inputs.  If I start a search motion and
tap the wire to ground I'll either get a position or a message that it closed
before it was supposed to or I was too late and probe response not found.

So the hardware is working.  And I'm having the same problem a few people on
the that forum list were having where none of the local probe screen  jog keys
work on my AXIS implementation.

I'll continue this discussion on that forum.
John