Hi Gene,

I gave up on centering my cheap probe because it really isn't necessary. I
don't need the probe to be concentric with the spindle if I know the
offset. My procedure is:

   - center a hole under the spindle. For a hole, I've created a fixture
   with a magnet holding a bearing. To center it, I put the right size drill
   rod in a collet in the spindle
   - Find the center of the hole with the probe and save the coordinates.
   - Now rotate the probe 180 degrees. To do that, I've added wings to my
   probe that contact a vertical rod on the side of my mill.
   - Find the center of the whole with the probe. The difference in the two
   readings represents twice the X and Y offsets of the probe.
   - Now when you use the probe, you can just subtract that offset from the
   actual measurement.

I've written subroutines to do that and to save the offset values. I also
have probing routines to do things like finding centers, finding edges,
etc. Those routines are invoked by buttons on my pendant. Unlike Verser's
routines all probing motions are "safe". By safe, I mean that all motions
use the probing versions of motion so they stop when the probe hits
something. (I bent my first probe using Verser's routines.) The probing
routines know about the direction of the last motion directed by the
pendant, so they probe in that direction.

See: safe probe source
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1D7_BacRTk4LwG0izKLDASTxHSK0RL5nM/view?usp=sharing>

Ken

Kenneth Lerman