I can't resist being a tease.  There are four defenses, all substantially
different from each other (i.e. they aren't variants of the same idea).

They line up, roughly, with the following attacks:

(1) Grabbing a computer shortly after it has been cleanly shutdown and/or
hibernated.

(2) Yanking the battery from a live/screen-locked system and booting to
an alternative device (USB or network).

(3) Supercooling the memory to extend the data lifetime, then yanking
the battery and moving the memory to a different system.

(4) Making key recovery infeasible even in scenarios where the memory
can be recovered with 99.9% accuracy.

Defending against (1) is pretty easy and our solution there arguably
isn't that innovative.  Defending against (3) + (4) while keeping the
performance impact under 10% took lots of thinking by some very bright
people.

Have to go pack now; I'll be happy to answer technical questions when I
get back.