James: I sympathize. There are indeed quite a a few whacky ideas out there
that are surprisingly pervasive. It's frustrating, but that's how things
are. We can't control the minds and ideologies of others, but we can
control how we react to ideas that are presented to us.

One way to react would be to make personal, ad hominen attacks. There are
already plenty of people who do that, and, in my humble experience, they're
not worthy of being emulated or admired. On the other hand, there's
something to be said for giving reasoned responses to differing view points
in a way that is patient and non-offensive (the set of people in the
population who do that consistently is disturbingly small, unfortunately).

- --

Regarding WEP, it's like any other product/feature that comes out.
Commercial products that are produced are not created for their own sake or
in their own universe. Companies or individuals produce software within a
broader context. Economic factors such as liability and ROI play into
products. "Perfect" products are rarely produced due to the subjectivity of
the term and the lack of demand for perfection. Security-wise, WEP was
considered "good enough" (even in light of known theoretical attacks
against WEP that have now become optimized and practical). Most home users
don't even enable the security that's available on their routers, and hence
the demand for greater security is fairly light. *Despite* that fact, WPA
and WPA2 improve radically on WEP, though there is still the issue of
WPA-PSK being broken due to the weak passwords that people use (despite the
availability of random password generating programs).