Garrett M. Groff wrote:
> Regarding WEP, it's like any other product/feature that comes out.
> Commercial products that are produced are not created for their own sake or
> in their own universe. Companies or individuals produce software within a
> broader context. Economic factors such as liability and ROI play into
> products.

Doing it right would not cost any more than doing it wrong, and doing it
right prevents liability.

Doing it wrong the first time was forgivable.  We all do incredibly
stupid things every now and then, but then doing it wrong again the
second time shows shear incapacity.

And we see similar major incompetence in many other areas of science and
technology.  The correct response to all this idiocy is "Space aliens
cause global warming"
<http://www.crichton-official.com/speech-alienscauseglobalwarming.html>

 > WEP was
> considered "good enough" (even in light of known theoretical attacks
> against WEP that have now become optimized and practical).

But, obviously it was not good enough.

And anyone who thought it was good enough manifestly does not know shit
from beans.

> Most home users
> don't even enable the security that's available on their routers,

But those who do enable it, expect that it actually be secure.

 > *Despite* that fact, WPA
> and WPA2 improve radically on WEP, though there is still the issue of
> WPA-PSK being broken due to the weak passwords that people use

The passwords that people ordinarily use can withstand online attack.
They cannot withstand offline attack.  Therefore WPA, not the user, is
wrong to allow offline attack.