As far as I have heard the Z/S thing is just tradition.

I have noticed that on a spinning frame where the drive belt's idler tensioner
is in regards to the motor works better in one direction than the other.  In a
yarn batch you spin one direction twice as much as the other when plying that
same batch. So it would make sense to spin in the most efficient direction and
ply in the other.

I am really curious to know what sort of answers you get on this.
I do not know the mini mills make up, so not what particulars are involved
there.

Turan