D2 writes:

<<When finished with the spinning, I'll have 5
singles to ply together. Anyone have any
suggetions as to how to ply them?>>

Way cool, they must be really fine singles!  What
are the colors like?  For some reason, at this
time of year I'm always *starved* for color :)

Assuming you don't know anyone you can borrow a
tensioned kate from, you can make one with a long,
narrow, sturdy box and some straight knitting
needles or dowels that fit through your bobbins.
Poke holes in the sides of the boxes, push through
the needle, put bobbin on needle, and finishing
pushing through the box.  Make sure part of each
bobbin whorl sticks up over the top edge of the box.

Then you need to tension it.  Tape a rubber band
*very* securely to one end of the box, and tie a
string to it.  Run the string over the whorl on
one bobbin, then under the whorl of the next;
over, under, over to finish.  Then you'll have to
figure out a way to make the tension adjustable,
since it will need to be decreased as you ply and
the bobbins empty.  I would try putting a piece of
duct tape on the outside of the end of the box.
Then tie a knot in the string (keeps the string
from pulling out from the tape), and use masking
tape to stick the string on top of the duct tape.
  As needed, unstick the masking tape, pull the
string slightly tighter, tie a new knot, and stick
it back down again.  Kind of clumsy, but should
work.  I can't think of anything else at the
moment that would allow you to continue to adjust
the tension as you ply.

Try to have each bobbin about equally full of
yarn, so they empty at about the same rate.  If
one is much heavier or lighter than the others,
the tension will be different on that one, and it
might show up in the finished yarn.  I suppose
it's too late, but what I would do is divide the
fiber by weight into five batches before spinning,
to ensure the bobbins are as equal as possible.
It will also help avoid large amounts of wasted
singles on some of your bobbins.

At least in theory, having the singles tensioned
as you ply means you only have to guide them with
your fingers, holding all 5 together so that the
twist doesn't run back into the yarn closer to the
box.  In practice, of course, there are likely to
be little kinks and such that you'll have to watch
for and fix as you ply.

I hope either this is workable or you find
something that does work - do share, if you do!

Holly