>>Can you thread them through a shaker top from a spice bottle? that will allow
>>you to have some tension and to be able to hold them separate up until you
>>want them together.<<

I almost missed this one. What a great idea! It's fairly simple. I could
probably MacGyver some kind of contraption that would hold all the balls of
yarn. Then, perhaps, a handmade top, with holes poked through it for the
individual singles.

I need to go to a carpet store and beg, borrow, or steal one of those cardboard
jobbers that carpet gets wrapped on. I could it into lengths just long
enough......  Hmmm, wait. PVC. About 6" in diameter. It already has holes in
it. I just happen to have handy man type neighbors. It'll still be a MacGyvered
project,but I'm pretty sure we can make it work.

Thanks everyone! :)
--
wrnk
d2