At 11:18 PM 09/17/02, Robert Patterson wrote:

>I actually prefer the mirrored lyrics approach, but it requires
>forethought and discipline.

I concur on that.

>Generally, unless you are truly writing a
>multiverse piece, such as a hymn, you should put all your lyrics in a
>single verse. This avoids the baseline headaches that others have mentioned.

Interesting.  On this, I am the opposite.  If there are logical sectional
breaks in the text, I tend to put them in separate verse boxes. I have no
problem with baselines.  All of my templates have the baselines set
uniformly for the first ten verses or so.

Sometimes I like the ability to adjust the baselines separately for
separate sections.  For instance, if the layout changes from soloist to
hymnbook style between verse and refrain, I might very well want a
different baseline for each section. If they're all in the same verse box,
you have to do that at the system level instead.

>Personally, being the normalization freak that I am, I typically write
>in a vocal text exactly as the lyricist or poet wrote it. If my
>text-setting repeats words, I back up the click assigner and assign the
>same syllables multiple times. If I were typesetting the Hallelujah
>Chorus, my Edit Lyrics box might well just contain the "Hallelujah" word
>once. (Well, actually probably twice: once at the beginning and once at
>the end.)

Wow, that feels very wrong to me.  I guess so long as you proceed in an
orderly manner there's no serious problems.  Still, don't you run into
trouble with capitalization that way?

Staying within the Messiah, what about the "Glory to God" chorus? The first
time it's "Glory to God, glory to God in the highest"; the second time it's
"Glory to God, glory to God, glory to God in the highest".  I'm not sure
what the original text is, but it seems to me that by your method you're
going to end up with a capitalized "glory" which shouldn't be, a missing
comma after "God", or both.

mdl