On Wed, 18 September 2002, "David W. Fenton" wrote:

> Those are all indications of an ill-thought-out UI and bugs in the
> implementation.

David, David. This is Finale we are talking about. Aren't you one of its
long-term users? Ill-thought-out UI and bugs in implementation have historically
been the norm for Finale.

The fact is, lyrics in Finale behave the way lyrics do. (That is, they are
assignments back to an underlying text stream.) It isn't an option, it just is.
We can rant about it, or we can accept it and figure out a way to move on. The
fact is, if you understand how they work you can use it greatly to your
advantage, whereas if the text were copied each time it was attached to a note,
it would be easy for the novice but less powerful for experienced users.

I believe it was Mark Lew who said that Coda made it worse by trying to protect
users from knowing about it, and I agree. In teaching Finale seminars, I've seen
users utterly trash their lyrics using type into score, whereas most of them get
the hang of click assign right away.

I still think there are some legitimate gripes. The two biggest are
non-continuing hyphens and word extensions.

--
Robert Patterson

http://RobertGPatterson.com