On 18 Sep 2002 at 7:02, Robert Patterson wrote:

> On Wed, 18 September 2002, "David W. Fenton" wrote:
>

> > Those are all indications of an ill-thought-out UI and bugs in the
> > implementation.
>
> David, David. This is Finale we are talking about. Aren't you one of its
> long-term users? Ill-thought-out UI and bugs in implementation have historically
> been the norm for Finale.

Historically speaking, yes. But before I upgraded to WinFin2003, I
was constantly being told how the current versions of Finale had lost
all the legacy problems. I guess I was a fool to believe it.

> The fact is, lyrics in Finale behave the way lyrics do. (That is, they are
> assignments back to an underlying text stream.) It isn't an option, it just is.

I have no objection to that. But the TYPE INTO SCORE function should
not allow the user to produce gibberish.

> We can rant about it, or we can accept it and figure out a way to move on. The
> fact is, if you understand how they work you can use it greatly to your
> advantage, whereas if the text were copied each time it was attached to a note,
> it would be easy for the novice but less powerful for experienced users.

The implementation is one of the worst UI-to-data messes that I've
seen in Finale over the years or in any application I've ever used.
The most intuitive method for data entry is the one most isolated
from the underlying data store, and, thus, most susceptible to
corruption.

> I believe it was Mark Lew who said that Coda made it worse by trying to protect
> users from knowing about it, and I agree. In teaching Finale seminars, I've seen
> users utterly trash their lyrics using type into score, whereas most of them get
> the hang of click assign right away.

I can't see using click assignment for any large project. The user
interface is hideous, with a non-resizable window and insufficient
feedback about where you are in the text stream, and what is
connected to what. I still don't know how to un-assign a syllable,
except by deleting it using TYPE IN SCORE.

I should do the tutorial, I know.

> I still think there are some legitimate gripes. The two biggest are
> non-continuing hyphens and word extensions.

I think all of my gripes are 100% legitimate.

The whole lyrics substructure should be redesigned from the bottom up
and a new user interface created.

--
David W. Fenton                         |
http://www.bway.net/~dfenton