On Tuesday 20 December 2005 18:17, Dave Culp wrote:
> I'm still itching to get the approach light structures working at KSFO, and
> I think Curt's improvements will allow accurate modeling of unusual
> airports, like KLGA, where both runways are extended out over the water on
> "decks".

We're still stuck not being able to model airports properly.
TaxiDraw is a great tool but I really don't like being limited to rectangular
taxiway sections - they look awful.

I started playing with the idea of modeling them as a 3D model in Blender and
sticking that into the terrain instead. Yes it's a lot slower but you can get
things spot on like the real thing. A few decent, well known airports would
be nice in FG. I'm sure Curt would love to include a few dozen of them
everytime he does a scenery rebuild. :P

What would be really helpful though is a way to snap the vertices of the
terrain in fgsd to the vertices of a placed model to eliminate seams or a way
of converting a 3D model to one of those special binary model files that the
airports are in. (*.btg.gz)

In the long term an automatic airport slicer/cutter would be the best option.
Pre-generate or generate an airport on the fly and cut and stitch it into the
underlying terrain at run time.

Paul