On Sunday 23 September 2012 10:19:52 Alan Teeder wrote:

> The reason I quoted 10 Gb is that my fgdate/.git/objects directory is
> currently 8.9Gb, and I assumed that is what gets downloaded during a clone.
> I bow to your wisdom if you say that it is "only" 4.9Gb.

Since really only the initial clone is a problem, we could just offer a weekly
updated tar ball of a bare clone for download. This download would just be ~ 5
GiB and would be resumable.

Getting an up to date fgdata for the first time would then just be something
like the following sequence:

wget -c http://.../fgdata.git.tar.xz
tar xJf fgdata.git.tar.xz
cd fgdata
git checkout master
git pull

This would keep all the advantages of having everything in the same repo while
offering a reliable solution for people who download for the first time.
Keeping
the tar ball up to date would be a simple cron job.

Any thoughts?
Stefan