Martin
Your suggestion of just  having the Cessna is a "base package" version of
fgdata is just what is required. I would go further and extend it to
including all those aircraft which are in the regular release versions.
These particular aircraft are on the whole well maintained and showcase the
capabilities of Flightgear.

Sorting out the aircraft is then a completely separate problem, and several
solutions to this have already been proposed. As we all remember one was
actually implemented last year, but for various reasons not made fully
public , was promptly abandoned.

Flightgear already supports the use of multiple aircraft directories, and I
suggest that this should form the basis for dividing up and managing the
existing collection, as well as making a structure for adding 3rd party
hangar collections.

Alan