This mouse issue is really bothering me, as I have no much clue what's
going wrong...

On 06/30/2014 07:50 PM, Rugxulo wrote:
> Right click will erase, but if it's
> already empty, it only temporarily flashes the number (full size).

This sounds very much like you (or your mouse) would click twice - I
mean, imagine that when you right click, what your mouse (or driver, or
BIOS, or I don't know what) actually do is (very fast):
  - LEFT click
  - RIGHT click

This would generate exactly the symptoms you have, including the 'fast
flashing' of the big number.

I know this is a far-fetched idea, but you never know... (and I don't
have any better idea at hand).

I created a little (4K) test program for the mouse. Could you please use
it on your hardware and tell me what you see?

http://www.viste-family.net/mateusz/temp/moustest/

The program will simply wait for clicks, and print them on the screen.
So the whole point would be for you to click with the mouse using left /
right clicks, and confirm that for every click you obtain exactly 1 and
only 1 new message on the screen. If you obtain any other behavior, then
it would be really cool if you could write down the exact messages (ie.
the AX and BX values that the program will display).

> Naive guess: probably just some accidental residue, some register
> value left unchecked or unrestored that DOSBox is somehow masking.

This would fit of course, if I had tested only on DOSBox.. But I do test
also on a real PC, with a real mouse on a real PS/2 port (and ctmouse
2.1b4), and I don't have the problem you describe.

ciao,
Mateusz