On 11/13/23 6:42 PM, David Eric Smith wrote:
Well in that case, definitely look up the interview he did with Sara Walker and Lee Cronin.

I will not comment further.

Eric

Gah!

Coincidence that I just finished Stephen Webb's updated review of the Fermi Paradox.  I didn't choose to read it because I have a vested interest in the answers (roughly 75 whack-a-moles), but rather a fascination with the fact that the question hasn't been advanced significantly since the Eric Jones' LA-UR of 198 <https://sgp.fas.org/othergov/doe/lanl/la-10311-ms.pdf>5  (Alias Smith and Jones?) on the topic,  which I read as a very young LANL  Staff Member when it was published internally.  Or the Drake equation since 1961?   It was also fascinating to be re-introduced to Knuth's Up-Arrow notatio <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth%27s_up-arrow_notation>n for expressing excruciatingly large numbers....

At the time it seemed like we hadn't been asking the question long enough (~40 years) for the answers to mean much (have much relevance?)... 40ish years later is only 2X longer yet the technical progress (e.g. SETI/Hubble/Webb/Deep Machine Learning/...) the silence of the cosmos seems significantly more pregnant?

I've given Walker/Cronin/Fridman about 70 minutes so far and my head hurts (in the best way)...  and I'm clearly over my head in beaucoup ways...   though I may not be able to stop and it will be definitely one of those "4 hours I will never be able to, nor want to, get back?)

   she said /"the fact that we can even talk here is a result of the
   fact that we can exchange structures in assembly space"
   /

statements like this and implied references to abstractions like Godel Numbering on Assembly Indices and Kauffman's NK model, casual graphs ala Glymour or Perl,  L-systems, Wheeler's It-to-Bit and a spectrum from discovered to invented, leave me (yet more) painfully aware of how over my head I am...  I dismissed SFI's "interplanetary" announcements back when (2019) as unserious but with Ted Chiang's "Arrival" at SFI in light of his "Story of your Life" and the

In a few months/years I expect this type of discussion could as easily be actors reading a GPT-X script which entirely captures the stylization of a serious discussion without being (necessarily?) serious at all and perhaps *nobody* could tell?

The intersection of /possibility/ and /probability/ spaces seems to define/imply something about what I said at earlier about the difference between memory/imagination, past/future?  (/Will, Qualia, ???/)

I'm suspect I should follow your lead and not comment further (for entirely different reasons)...  If I really want to hurt myself (some more) I should probably cue up Fridman's interview with Wolfram back to back with this one.  At this rate I doubt I will ever get around to his interviews with Netanyahu and Kushner or Rogan...

Lex just commented "/discovering wisdom through nuanced disagreement/?" and it seems to be good support for Glen's agonism...

Argh...  "why does head hurt when Hulk try to think?"  maybe I should sign up for the Neuralink Beta and get the GPT-shield to go with it?  With a power-tower count of components

                                           (./... must... stop... now.../ )