On 1/27/24 10:25 PM, Marcus Daniels wrote:

People are rightly livid with the gas and electric utilities here in California, but the state is doing better than other states on renewables.  More than half the grid is solar during the day.  Large installations of batteries are in use and investments in offshore wind are expanding.

I'm a fan of localizing and distributing as best we can.   It is probably overly optimistic on my part but combinations of home-scale PV with storage including EVs (with two-way interconnect)  might really help unload the grid and displace grid-growth with grid-upgrade.

I'm not a fan of massive/centralized *anything* even though the "economy of scale" arguments tend to have some advantage...

I don't know what is really happening in TX/ERCOT, but my liberal bias has me believing that all the squealing going on among TX GOP types about how somehow wind/solar is the *reason* for their various grid-failures in the last few years...   surely there are some anecdotal edge/corner cases where there is a germ of truth... but ....

My own electric co-op (Jemez Mtn Coop) started after WWII when the soldiers returning tried to repair/renew the small turbine in the creek that fed DC to a few dozen households and got carried away.   Now they (we) are entirely captive to a multi-state regional provider who has us locked into primarily coal  mined and sluiced 100 miles across the Navajo Reservation (but only for a few more years) while Kit Carson COOP (Taos county) recently announced some net-sustainable success story (not sure of the details...  electrons in the grid don't have block-chain-class identity, so short of being an isolated island, nobody knows their provenance?).    I'm hoping for a similar (r)evolution in  our COOP, but plan to (continue to) take matters into my own hands locally, even if I remain grid-tied to be a "good neighbor".   The power-distribution for my neighborhood (4 in an isolated island) is on my property and last time JMEC did service they bolt-cut the lock and left it that way... I could slap an induction ammeter on the gear and see how much of any excess power I might peak with on PV was going downstream, and how much upstream (likely all downstream)...

*From:*Friam <friam-boun...@redfish.com> *On Behalf Of *cody dooderson
*Sent:* Saturday, January 27, 2024 4:27 PM
*To:* The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
*Subject:* Re: [FRIAM] Bad news about the climate

I am convinced that in the next 30 years, there will be some massive geo-engineering projects to reverse the course of climate change. We can only hope that they will be well thought out. Harvard has a geoengineering program with a nice web page. I check it from time to time and it helps me feel a bit more optimistic about the future.

_ Cody Smith _

c...@simtable.com