I feel like individual actions (like sorting recycling, buying/using EVs, etc.)
are a tiny drop in the bucket compared to institutional actions. For example,
the NIH recently held a meeting in Maryland explicitly stating a *preference*
for in person attendance. This seemed egregious to me. I mean, I know they're
not a department of ecology or biology ... or climate science or whatever. But
surely ... shirley they know that institutional pressure to fly around the
earth is a part of the problem, right? Like, how are we supposed to compete for
federal funds ... social network wise, when all the flesh-pressing rich people
fly around pressing the flesh in meatspace?

Similarly, ALife is in Copenhagen. Very cool. I've always wanted to go there. Luckily, IACAP (RussA mentioned) is in
Eugene. I can take the train there. Maybe if we change your "life is at stake" to "career is at
stake", we could make some interim progress. Anyone who flies to a conference is immediately spray-painted with a
scarlet letter. But, really. It's not about us. It's about Amazon, Microsoft, P&G, Maybelline
<https://www.beatthemicrobead.org/11-makeup-brands-exposed-with-the-use-of-microplastics/>, Dupont, etc. ... and
maybe even the NIH. We should make it about their "corporate life is at stake" and execute the bad actors.

Speaking of the death penalty for corporations:
https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nys/central-ny/politics/2024/01/29/taking-away-trump-s-business-empire-would-stand-alone-under-new-york-fraud-law

"An Associated Press analysis of nearly 70 years of civil cases under the law showed
that such a penalty has only been imposed a dozen previous times, and Trump’s case stands
apart in a significant way: It’s the only big business found that was threatened with a
shutdown without a showing of obvious victims and major losses."

Freewill? Agency? Pffft. The real touchstone is "identify the victim".