Hi Dark,

Yeah, I personally don't get what is wrong with Sapi either. It is a
quick and easy API, works fairly well for what it does, and there are
plenty of voices available for it. However, as a guess I suppose the
voices are precisely the issue people have with it.

A lot of Jaws users, for example, are use to Eloquence. Since
Eloquence is not a Sapi voice they can't just use that with a game
without the developer going through the Jaws API to use the screen
reader directly rather than accessing Eloquence via Sapi. For that
reason I guess some people want Jaws support so they could use
Eloquence and the various Vocalizer voices which aren't available via
Sapi.

Of course, there is probably a cost issue here as well. Anyone who has
a fairly up to date version of Jaws has a number of TTS engines and
voices from Eloquence and several Vocalizer voices. They probably
don't want to turn around and buy more voices from Cereproc, Cepstral,
Nextup, etc given the fact that Jaws already offers them a lot of free
voices.

In short, as a guess I think the reason many users want screen reader
support is because of the voices etc their screen reader provides
aren't available for Sapi or are available at extra cost. Some of us
who don't use Jaws, such as myself, aren't missing anything by using
Sapi because we do not have various free TTS voices to miss. I use
NVDA and own a handful of Sapi voices so using Sapi rather than my
screen reader makes sense in my own case.

Cheers!