Hi.

Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Hello!
>

> Intro
>
>   For the gentoo-specific part of smolt [1] that's in the making we
>   collect stats on what package is installed and what overlay it comes
>   from.  Which tree/overlay it came from is determined by reading file
>   /var/db/pkg/${CATEGORY}/${PF}/repository.  The name in there comes
>   from file profiles/repo_name originally.
>   In smolt we match repo names from the 'repository' file against
>   overlay names from layman-global.txt to check if an overlay is known
>   worldwide or could be a secret overlay that we should not submit
>   information about.
>

> Problem
>
>   When the name from repo_name and the overlay name in layman-global.txt
>   do not match smolt would assume the overlay is secret though it's not
>   and not be able to send in stats about it.

I understand your problem and agree that in general having the repo_name
and the name in layman-global.txt the same would be helpful.
However, there might be some history behind that.
For example, although the official KDE team overlay is called kde
(repo_name), on layman it still shows up as kde-testing. The reason for
that is historic as kde was already used by genkdesvn.

> Examples:
>
>   oss-overlay != majeru
>   pro-audio != proaudio
>

> Proposal
>
>   -   Make repo_name file fit layman-global.txt entry where it doesn't
>       match at the moment
>
>       -   People with that overlay installed do not have to change
>           anything, no "where did that overlay go" mails or aynthing
>
>       -   Upstream needs to be convinced to fix it
>
>       -   For packages installed from that overlay the file
>           'repository' will not update until the a re-installation
>
>   -   Make in-sync repo_name a requirement for extending
>       layman-global.txt
>

> Sebastian

- --
Regards,

Gentoo- forums / Userrel / Devrel / SPARC / KDE