On 12-07-2009 01:59:03 +0200, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
> Proposal
>
>   -   Make repo_name file fit layman-global.txt entry where it doesn't
>       match at the moment
>
>       -   People with that overlay installed do not have to change
>           anything, no "where did that overlay go" mails or aynthing
>
>       -   Upstream needs to be convinced to fix it
>
>       -   For packages installed from that overlay the file
>           'repository' will not update until the a re-installation
>
>   -   Make in-sync repo_name a requirement for extending
>       layman-global.txt

since I assume you can't reliably use the checked out version of the
overlay (by e.g. layman), can you try to retrieve the repo_name file
from the overlay?  Probably a lot of efforts.  So alternative, what if
we extend the layman-global.txt (which is xml in reality...) file with
an extra property per overlay which holds the contents of it's
repo_name?  Would be optimal, since you're fetching this file anyway to
check it.  Alternative is to use another file somewhere on the interweb
that you keep up to date automatically, by having all overlays checked
out and recording their repo_name ...

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level