Ben de Groot posted on Thu, 04 Mar 2010 23:56:46 +0100 as excerpted:

> Personally I am recommending people to locally mask python-3*. I think
> we should consider to add it to our package.mask, unless we can find
> some other solution.
>
> I am not against it being marked stable, but I am against having it
> pulled in on systems that don't need it.

++

I've package masked python3 here.  There are some things I like being
leading, even bleeding edge on.  Python isn't one of them.  When some
package I want to merge wants python-3 and isn't going to take python-2
(or if I decide I want to learn python, since one might as well learn 3 at
this point if they're learning), /then/ I'll consider unmasking it.  Until
then, or at least for quite some time yet if that doesn't happen, there's
no reason I need the additional complications of python-3 problems on my
system.

I'd say the same goes for most users.