On 03/07/2010 07:11 PM, Mark Loeser wrote:

> Absolutely not.  Its actually the opposite.  Until 90+% of the tree just
> works with the new version of python, it should not be stabilized.  The
> stable tree should all Just Work together.  Stabilizing python-3 at this
> point would be the equivalent of me stabilizing gcc-4.5 after its been
> in the tree for a few months and nothing else works with it.  Sure, gcc
> works just fine, but it can't compile half of the tree.

Bad analogy in my opinion. You don't really want to mix and match gcc
versions while compiling packages but with python packages you can
continue installing and running under 2* just fine. If a stable package
uses 2* it's not a blocker for 3*.

> I hope everyone can see that this is a terrible idea and of no use to
> our stable users.  If a stable user really needs Python-3, they will
> have the technical ability to unmask it and use it properly.

In my opinion python-3 should go stable when there's enough ebuilds
needing it as a dependency. It doesn't need to nowhere near 90% of
python packages in the tree.

Regards,
Petteri