On Monday 16 May 2011 02:47:31 Dale wrote:
> Daniel da Veiga wrote:
> > On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 20:12, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com
> >
> > <mailto:rdalek1...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >     Daniel da Veiga wrote:
> >         I have a similar entry, but have never used the softlevel=
> >         flag, I simply append "single" at the end of the kernel call
> >         and it boots in single user (root password or ctrl+d to
> >         continue).
> >
> >     I did get this to work:
> >
> >     title Gentoo single user
> >     kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.38-r5-1 root=/dev/sda3 rw single
> >
> >     So, all I need now is to figure out how to get this work:
> >

> >     title Gentoo boot level
> >     kernel (hd0,0)/bzImage-2.6.38-r5-1 root=/dev/sda3 softlevel=boot
> >
> >     It appears the softlevel= is no longer working with the new
> >     openrc.  It looks like the docs need to be updated.  I also tried
> >     init= and it doesn't work either.

Did you try creating a new runlevel (dale_special) and then booting into it by
appending softlevel=dale_special ?

That will prove if the Gentoo softlevel mechanism is no longer available.

> >     Time to go farther up the food chain I guess. The docs need to be
> >     changed at least.
> >
> > Updated docs are always good, but I wonder why do you need this.
> > If I need single user I simply press "e", edit the line and add
> > single, followed by a "b" to boot. That is a for maintenance only so I
> > really don't see a need for it at grub menu, same wth the other
> > runlevels, all you gotta do is append "nox" or use Interactive (again,
> > this is only if something is broken, I can't see myself doing this
> > twice in a week)...

I think that nox brings you all the way up to runlevel 3, not runlevel 1.

> The thing is, I do use them which is why I went to the trouble of
> setting them up to begin with.  I actually use them pretty regular.
> Just because others don't use them doesn't mean that I don't or shouldn't.
>
> I tried to use them is how I figured out it didn't work anymore.  That
> alone shows that I use them for various reasons.  This update is less
> than a week old and I already found out that this doesn't work anymore.
> I just want to figure out how it works with openrc which it appears no
> one has a answer and the docs are wrong as well.

The definitive answer is that the gentoo "single" softlevel does not work.
The Linux standard "single" or "S" or "1" runlevel works fine (but I can't
recall if I tried "1" recently).

So the question remains what is happening with other softlevels if you care to
create them.

--
Regards,
Mick