On 04/22/2013 05:40 AM, Michael Hampicke wrote:
> Am 22.04.2013 03:06, schrieb Michael Mol:
>> So, I'm setting up number of kvm guests running Gentoo. KVM guests have
>> a pretty limited set of device drivers they need to support.
>>
>> Is there a relatively up-to-date list of kernel configuration options?
>> I.e. the list of NIC drivers, video drivers, I/O drivers...
>>

> For net and io I always go with the virtio drivers [1]. For video: I
> don't care, my VMs are all headless, but when creating a desktop VM I
> suggest looking to vmvga or qxl.
>
> [1] http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Virtio

For video, I tend to use Cirrus. (I'll get the serial console stuff
figured out eventually; I know how that works in the guest, but haven't
prodded it in the host.) I didn't see a guest-side driver for vmvga, and
I have no idea what qxl is. (I didn't hit search engines for it, I was
merely searching around via menuconfig's / search.)

Virtio drivers are awesome, of course.

What I'm really looking for, though, is a list of all the devices the
qemu/kvm host can emulate, and the most-specific guest driver. I.e. If I
wanted to make a generic kernel configuration that contained the optimum
drivers for all possible qemu/kvm configurations, what would be the
minimum feature set?

While I'm on the subject...menuconfig's search functionality indicated
there was a vmguest-targeted CPU accounting in the kernel, but I
couldn't get the HAVE_VIRTUAL_CPU_ACCOUNTING dependency flag set, and
couldn't figure out what set it. Any ideas there?