On 04/22/2013 03:04 PM, Michael Mair-Keimberger wrote:
> Regarding devices which devices qemu-kvm supports, just take a look at
> following commands:
>
> Available net devices:
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic,model=?
>
> Available cpu's:
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu ?
>
> Available machines (if needed)
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 -machine ?
>
> General list of available devices:
>
> qemu-system-x86_64 -device ?
>

> Depending on your arch it might differ..
>

> Regarding virito devices:
>
> I highly recommend using those drivers. For my gentoo guests i always
> use virtio drivers for network devices (with vhost=on) and harddisks.
> (on windows guests only virito-net drivers) The performance gain is
> incredible. However, especially for the virtio harddisk driver, make
> sure you change fstab entries, because harddisk names change from sda to
> vda (or just use them from the beginning.
>

> If you going to try out desktop vm's too i also recommend qxl with
> spice. It's really fast and it also supports copy/paste (however you
> need an service for copy/paste on linux "app-emulation/spice-vdagent")
> and window resizing. Those features also work on windows.

Good to know. Does it work over the network, or does it presume local
connectivity? My primary use case is connecting to the box over
wireless. My secondary use case is connecting over a WAN link. Local
connectivity is out of the question for this VM server.

> Regarding libvirt my experience is actually very low since i setup my
> vms with an custom init script. You can take a look on it here:
> https://github.com/mm1ke/qemu-init/tree/devel

I'm actually not having any real difficulty setting up the VMs. As I
said, the matter is largely academic. It's really not difficult to set
up a guest primarily with virtio drivers, of course.

The "problem" I'm trying to solve is the apparent lack of documentation
mapping host kvm/qemu capabilities with guest kernel configurations

> I can also provide a basic kernel .config for the latest stable kernel
> on x64 and x86 if you are interrested.

Like Stefan, I'm also curious. I would probably go through and tweak a
number of network-related features (add a netfilter feature here, remove
a network stack component there), but it'd be interesting to look at.