On 04/22/2013 11:38 AM, Michael Hampicke wrote:
> Am 22.04.2013 14:31, schrieb Michael Mol:
>> On 04/22/2013 05:40 AM, Michael Hampicke wrote:
>
> snip
>
>> What I'm really looking for, though, is a list of all the devices the
>> qemu/kvm host can emulate, and the most-specific guest driver. I.e. If I
>> wanted to make a generic kernel configuration that contained the optimum
>> drivers for all possible qemu/kvm configurations, what would be the
>> minimum feature set?
>
> Sorry I misunderstood you. I know that somewhere deep within some
> documentation I saw such a list, but I cannot find it now (maybe it was
> libvirt or in the IBM best practices docs?).
>
> Here's list of devices that I know of, which kvm can emulate.
>
> net: e1000, ne2000, rtl8139, pcnet, virtio
> video: spice/qxl, vmnet (needs guest driver from vmware), cirrus, xen, vga
> io: virtio, ata_piix, sata ahci

I was able to find these things while browsing through the 'details'
list in virt-manager. Mostly what I'm curious about is which kernel
configuration options they correspond to when setting up kernels in the
guest. I'll post a link to the kernel configuration options I've found
(so far) when I get home tonight.

> Do you also care about stuff like sound cards?

A little. As I said, it's at least in part an academic exercise, so
completeness becomes interesting. (Though some things can get plain
silly, such as sb16, which I believe would be exposed via the ISA bus.)

I do find it weird that there's nothing exposed to the guest via, e.g.
the i2c bus; that would seem a natural mechanism through which to expose
host knowledge and, possibly, influence guest behavior.

Thanks for the responses. I'm always fond of knowledge-share threads. :)