Regarding devices which devices qemu-kvm supports, just take a look at
following commands:
Available net devices:
 qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic,model=?
Available cpu's:
 qemu-system-x86_64 -cpu ?
Available machines (if needed)
 qemu-system-x86_64 -machine ?
General list of available devices:
 qemu-system-x86_64 -device ?

Depending on your arch it might differ..

Regarding virito devices:
I highly recommend using those drivers. For my gentoo guests i always use
virtio drivers for network devices (with vhost=on) and harddisks. (on
windows guests only virito-net drivers) The performance gain is incredible.
However, especially for the virtio harddisk driver, make sure you change
fstab entries, because harddisk names change from sda to vda (or just
use them from the beginning.

If you going to try out desktop vm's too i also recommend qxl with spice.
It's really fast and it also supports copy/paste (however you need an
service for copy/paste on linux "app-emulation/spice-vdagent") and window
resizing. Those features also work on windows.

Regarding libvirt my experience is actually very low since i setup my vms
with an custom init script. You can take a look on it here:
https://github.com/mm1ke/qemu-init/tree/devel

I can also provide a basic kernel .config for the latest stable kernel on x64
and x86 if you are interrested.

mike